An Autobiography
By Edward Shaw of Richmond, Indiana


Edward Shaw, the author, was born on April 29th, 1815 and at his death at the age of ninety-four years, was one of the oldest and most esteemed Friends of Richmond, Indiana. His father, John Shaw and mother Elizabeth Wright were married in Friends meeting on April 7th 1814 in the first meeting house in Cincinnati. His mother was educated at Westown Boarding School near Philadelphia and later was one of the first teachers in western Ohio.

In 1840, he and Penninah Hill were married in Friends meeting in Richmond, Indiana and as a result of this union, eight children were born, six of whom grew to manhood and womanhood, as follows:

Robert H., unmarried
Rebecca, unmarried
Mary Elizabeth, who married Lewis K. Harris, and to whom were born four children, three of whom are now living, as follows:

          Roswell C. Harris who married Margaret M. Thomas and to whom was born one daughter, Dorothy G.
          Edward H. who married Edna M. Ferree and to whom was born Virginia, Janet and Edward F.
          Nina C. who married William W. Reller and to whom was born Elizabeth, Gretchen, William, Jr. and George.

Henry C. who married Nancy Martin and to whom were born two daughter, Nellie M. and Cornelia.
John W. who married Elizabeth Plummer and to whom were born a daughter Esther and a son Percy.
Susan B., unmarried.

R.C. Harris

Philadelphia, Pa. September 10th 1925.


While living in Cincinnati, Ohio, in the year 1820, my father received an appointmant as agent for the Wyandott Indians at Upper Sandusky, Ohio, fifty miles north of Columbus, Ohio, where he removed with his family that fall, his wife and two boys Thomas W. and myself. They spent the winter in a double log cabin, three miles north of the fort, and a mile north of the mills on the Sandusky River, a beautiful clear stream with plenty of fish. These mills, a grist and saw mill, were built by the Government and the miller and blacksmith were paid by it through its agents. The blacksmith, John Lewis and family also spent the winter in the other part of the cabin.

The land was thickly timbered for some distances back on both sides of the river and in the midst of the dense forest was the Council House, a large, low, round log house with a dirt floor. Here, too, John Shaw and family attended divine worship for the first time on First Day; the house being filled with Indians who listened attentively to the pioneer missionary, with that tribe of Indians. He was Johnathan Stewart, a man of color who was born in Virginia but felt it his duty to go among them and endeavor to Christianize them, which in a measure, he did for young as I was, I saw tears coming down the cheeks of a number of the Indians and I am sure they appreciated what he said as he spoke in the Wyandott tongue.

This page is still under construction...more will follow